Open air burning is a serious matter!
Prior to burning any material on any property, an application must be filed by the landowner before a fire permit is issued. The fee for this permit in 2013 is $10.00. Certain criteria must be met before obtaining permission to burn. The Township application contains pertinent information that will assist the applicant in burning the material safely. E-mailed or faxed applications are not accepted.
No burning permit required for campfires or for an open air fire when such burning consists of a small confined fire, supervised at all times and used to cook food on a grill or a barbecue.
Exterior type fireplaces for private use, such as mentioned above, also do not require a fire permit.
Please note that, even with the benefit of a permit, any person setting a fire is held responsible for his/her own actions and negligence (injury to person, damage to property) and may be charged by the Fire Department for their services should they be called to intervene.
IMPORTANT... It is “law” under the Municipal Fire By-law
- Material to be burned limited to wood or wood by-products;
- Open air burning to allow no more than 1 cubic meter of material to be burned at any one time;
- Fire extinguishing equipment to be on site at all times (brooms, water hoses, pails, shovels, etc.);
- Open air burning during daylight hours only;
- Open air burning to be supervised at all times and never to be left unattended until completely extinguished;
- Permit holder to notify the Fire Department before the fire is lit and when it is put out;
- Odours or smoke not to cause discomfort to persons or affect any properties, otherwise extinguish fire immediately;
- Open fires not allowed if wind conditions cause any decrease in visibility on any road or highway;
- Open fires not to be set closer than 30 meters or 100 feet from any building or uncleared land;
- Open fires set off directly to grass, hay, leaves or crops are strictly prohibited !
FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES, CALL: Hawkesbury Fire Department: 632-4111
© Copyright 2013, Township of Champlain. All rights reserved.