Water, Sewer and Municipal Drain

Water drop

On this page:

  1. Billing period and due date
  2. E-Billing
  3. Payment options
  4. Annual water reports
  5. Municipal Drain

Billing Period and Due Date
Billing PeriodDue Date
September 23 - December 22 End of January
December 23 - March 22 End of April
March 23 - June 22 End of July
June 23 - September 22 End of October

Sign Up for E-Billing

Go green...Go paperless. It's easy and convenient!

Electronic billing is a fast and convenient way to receive your invoices. Sign up and you will receive a PDF version of your utility bill delivered directly to your email account. The e-bill will look exactly the same as your current bill. The due dates as well as your payment options will remain the same. Once your e-billing service has been activated, your future bills will be electronically delivered to the e-mail address you provided.

Choosing to sign up for e-billing will not affect the way you pay your utility bills. Customers will continue to have the following options for payment: at the Town Hall, located at 948 Pleasant Corner Rd East, Vankleek Hill, by cheque, debit, and online banking.

We understand that some customers may be uninterested or unable to utilize this service and would like to clarify that there is no requirement to sign-up for this service.

What if I Change My Email Address or if I Change My Mind and Want to Revert Back to Paper Billings?

If you want to change the email address for e-billing, simply e-mail your request to finance@champlain.ca and put in the subject line “Utility E-bill email address change”.

If you ever decide to stop the e-billing service, simply e-mail your request to finance@champlain.ca and put in the subject line “Utility E-bill cancellation request”.

Sign Up Now for Utility E-Billing

Payment Options

We would like to remind you of the various payment options which are available:

  • Pre-authorized payment plan (PAP) 
  • Online payments through your financial institution
  • In person payments at your financial institution
  • At the municipal office at 948 Pleasant Corner Road East by cheque, cash or interac (no credit cards are accepted).  A drop-off depository is also provided for your convenience at the entrance of our building for after hour.

PAP Application Form

Annual Water Report

The Champlain Annual Drinking Water Reports have been prepared to satisfy Section 11 and Schedule 22 of O. Reg. 170/03: Drinking Water Systems Regulation, under the Safe Drinking Water Act, 2002. Each report describes the Champlain Drinking Water Systems, details of the water quality testing results, and any non-compliances and adverse conditions that may have occurred from January 1 to December 31.

  • L'Orignal drinking water system
  • Laurentian Park drinking water system
  • Vankleek Hill drinking water system

The Champlain Township, in conjunction with the Ontario Clean Water Agency, is committed to providing safe and clean drinking water to all of its citizens and customers, to remain compliant with all regulatory requirements, and to maintain and continually improve its drinking water quality management system. All efforts have been made to ensure that the information presented is accurate and straightforward.

Under the Ontario Drinking Water Systems regulation (0.Reg. 170/03), municipalities who maintain drinking water systems are required to prepare an annual report on the operation of the water system and the quality of its water. Please note that the Annual Regulatory Water Reports for each of these drinking water systems are available to any resident upon request at the township office or send an email to karla.barton@champlain.ca. as the current formats do not meet comply with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA, required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.

Municipal Drain

Perhaps you've just purchased property, and been told by your municipality that you are assessed into a municipal drain. Perhaps you have owned a property for a couple of years and have recently discovered that you are located in the watershed of a municipal drain. You're probably wondering, what does this mean? How does it affect me? What will it cost?

Physically, What is a Municipal Drain?

Physically, a municipal drain is simply a drainage system. Most municipal drains are either ditches or closed systems such as pipes or tiles buried in the ground. They can also include structures such as dykes or berms, pumping stations, buffer strips, grassed waterways, storm water detention ponds, culverts and bridges. Even some creeks and small rivers are now considered to be municipal drains. Municipal drains are primarily located in rural agricultural areas of the province.


What is the use of a municipal drain?

Most municipal drains were constructed to improve the drainage of agricultural land by serving as the discharge point for private agricultural tile drainage systems. However, they also remove excess water collected by roadside ditches, residential lots, churches, schools, industrial lands, commercial lands and any other properties in rural areas. They are a vital component of the local infrastructure. Without them, many areas of the province would be subjected to regular flooding, reduced production from agricultural land and increased public health risks.

What makes a municipal drain different from other ditch and drain pipes? 

Landowners who need to solve a drainage problem may submit a prescribed petition under the Drainage Act to their local municipality, requesting the establishment of a municipal drain. If certain criteria are met, the municipality appoints an engineer who prepares a report, identifying the proposed solution to the problem and how the costs will be shared. There are various meetings where landowners in the watershed of the municipal drain can voice their desires and concerns. There are also several appeal stages where they can voice their objections. So, the end result of the process is a "communally accepted" project.

After all appeals have been heard and dealt with, the municipality passes a by-law, adopting the engineer's report. The cost of the work is assessed to the lands in the watershed in the same ratios as contained within the engineer's report. So for a ditch or a pipe to be a municipal drain, there must be a by-law adopting an engineer's report.

What is my due diligence regarding this municipal drain?
First of all, before purchasing a rural property, it is important to find out from the municipality or the real estate agent if the property is affected by a municipal drain and in what way.

As an involved landowner, you have a responsibility for the drains located on your property.

Observe them. If you notice any problems, immediately notify the Township. Remove debris from any catch basins that may be located on your property or the adjoining road. This type of ongoing preventative work can reduce the possibility of property damage during storm events.

What should I expect?
The Township must maintain its municipal drains. Therefore, if you have a municipal drain located on your property, you can expect that we will periodically arrange to enter onto your property and perform the necessary work. After it is completed, you will be billed for your share of the cost.

For a period of time while the work is being completed, you can expect the working space along the drain to be accessed by the maintenance equipment and the land to be disrupted to some degree. Because this working space is a form of an easement, you will not be paid for any damages that occur on this land.

Municipalities have the right to accumulate the cost of maintaining a drain for up to five years or $5,000. Therefore, it is possible that you may be billed for work that occurred before you owned a property.

Are there any land restrictions near the drain system?
Along every municipal drain is an unregistered working space that the municipality has the right to use to maintain or repair the drain. Keep this working space accessible and do not plant trees or build structures in this area. If you do, and it results in an obstruction to the maintenance equipment, you may have to pay the cost of removing that obstruction.

Don't store materials such as brush, lumber or other floatable material near the drain, because during storm events, it could float away and block the drain.

Champlain Township is responsible for maintaining municipal drains on behalf of the community of landowners involved in a drain. If you want to install a culvert or bridge on an open ditch municipal drain, or if a municipal drain requires maintenance, don't perform the work yourself; instead notify the Township. If you do unauthorized work on a drain and that work results in damages to the drain or to other landowners, you could be responsible for paying the cost of repairing the damages.

Although they are "man-made", all municipal drains eventually connect with the many beautiful lakes, rivers and streams located in Ontario. Do not direct septic system waste, milkhouse wastes, barnyard and manure storage runoff or other pollutants directly to these drains.

From the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Fact Sheet, So, what’s a municipal drain?
Little Rideau Creek
Little Rideau Creek

Contact Us