Permits & Licenses

Women filling an application

On this page

  1. Building permit
  2. Yard sale permit
  3. Open-air burning permit
  4. Pet licence
  5. Road Cut Permit
  6. Planning Applications
  7. Marriage licence
  8. Lottery licence

Building Permit

A Building Permit is your formal permission to begin the construction, demolition, addition or renovation on your property. As part of the Building Permit process, Champlain Administration must review your plans to ensure they comply with the Ontario Building Code, local Zoning By-laws and other Applicable Law.

More information about Building Permit

Yard Sale Permit

Everyone loves a good garage sale and it's important to know all the facts before hosting one. In Champlain, that means getting a garage sale permit.

A garage sale is defined as any sale where second-hand goods or materials are sold or displayed for the purpose of sale from any property zoned residential, rural, institutional, open space or transitional. This includes craft sales, yard sales, garage sales and lawn sales, and are held for a maximum of three consecutive days.

More information about Yard Sale Permit

Open-Air Fire Permit

Prior to burning any material on any property, an application must be filed by the landowner before a fire permit is issued. Certain criteria must be met before obtaining permission to burn. The Township application contains pertinent information that will assist the applicant in burning the material safely.

More information about Open-Air Fire Permit

Pet Licence

All dogs owned in Champlain Township must be licensed and wear a tag (not cats). The tag must be renewed every year. Pet licenses assist in the fast and safe return of your pet if it gets lost. A licence is immediately visible to anyone who finds your dog and shows that your dog belongs to someone. Your pet is returned home faster and/or spends less time in the shelter.

More information about Dog License

Road Cut Permit

ny person who needs to break, excavate, bore under, tunnel or dig up part of a road is required to obtain a Road Cut Permit from the By-law Enforcement Department beforehand. The applicant is responsible to locate all other underground public services and to maintain a secure construction at all times.

More information about Road Cut Permit

Planning Application

Township of Champlain supports property owners and investors by providing advice on a broad range of development applications including local Official Plan Amendments, Zoning By-Law Amendments, Minor Variances, Consent Application Reviews, Site Plan Approvals and Part Lot Control. It is strongly recommends that any investor or property owner considering a development application, pre-consult with the Planning department prior to submitting an application.

More information about Planning Application 

Marriage Licence

To get married in Ontario, a marriage licence is required. The Township of Champlain does not issue marriage licences, but the following municipal offices do:

Lottery Licence 

Eligible charitable and not-for-profit organizations may be licenced under the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario to raise funds through municipally licenced lottery events.

Am I Eligible for a Lottery Licence?

Your organization may be eligible for a municipally-issued lottery licence if:

  1. Your organization is are a charity or an eligible not-for-profit organization;
  2. It has been in existence for at least one year;
  3. It has provided charitable community services consistent with the goals and activities of the organization for at least one year in Ontario;
  4. It proposes to use the proceeds for charitable programs and services that benefit the Township and its residents; and
  5. It assumes full responsibility for the conduct and management of the lottery event.

Lottery licences are not available for private functions or individuals to fundraise for personal reasons even if you are intending to give the funds raised to charity.

How to Apply

  1. Ensure that your organization complies with the eligibility requiremnts.
  2. Complete an application form, as provided on the AGCO Charitable Gaming Page. Printed copies can be provided in the Clerk’s Office.
  3. Return the completed application form to the Clerk’s Office with the following:
    • Proof that your organization has been in existence for one year;
    • Proof of a special lottery trust account;
    • Your organization’s Articles of Incorporation, Mandate, Mission Statement, listing of Board of Directors (with contact information), and any other information the Municipal Clerk; and
    • Proposed used of lottery proceeds.
  4. Payment of the lottery licence fee, which is 3% of the cash value of all prizes.

New Organization

 If your organization has never had a lottery license with the Township of Champlain, please contact the Clerk's Department to start the evaluation process of your organization. You will need to submit your lottery license application at least 21 days prior to the event.

New Application

Organizations must submit their lottery application at least 14 days prior to the event. All organizations are responsible for the yearly update of their file (Board of directors, budget, financial statements).

Additional Information

Find more information on Charitable Gaming or Lottery licenses on the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website or contact the municipal Clerk, at or 613-678-3003 ext.229.

Contact Us