Commonly Requested Bylaws

Question marks

Go to FacebookGo to TwitterGo to InstagramGo to YouTube

Animal Control (cats and dogs)


Dog License

The By-Law Department provides animal care and control services including the issuance of dog licenses (for dogs aged 16 weeks and over) and ensures that pet owners are made aware of what controls are in place when violations occur. Licensing registers your dog and provides a means by which it can be identified and returned to you if it gets lost. Licensing also addresses public health and safety concerns associated with stray animals. 

How many animals are permitted? 

A maximum of 3 dogs, or 3 cats, or a combination of 4 of these animals (with the exception for farming operations, kennels or pet shops) is allowed per household within the Township of Champlain.

The Ten Responsibilities of Dog Owners:

  • Do not allow your dog to run free
  • Keep your dog from trespassing on private or municipal property
  • Always keep your dog on a leash
  • Always pick up your dog's feces
  • Do not allow your dog to bark persistently
  • Do not allow your dog to attack or bite another domestic animal
  • Register your dog with the Municipality (dog tag) on an annual basis
  • Have your dog vaccinated against rabies
  • Have your dog spayed or neutered
  • Provide regular care and attention to your dog

Payment Methods

  • By cheque in the secured drop-off box at the Town Hall (948 Plesant Corner East, Vankleek Hill)
  • By cheque by mail at: Champlain Township, 948 Pleasant Corner Rd East, Vankleek Hill, K0B 1R0
  • Online on your financial institution website. Please use your tax roll number and do not combine any other payment with your dog license payment.
  • By cash, cheque or debit card, in person, at the Town Hall (948 Pleasant Corner, Vankleek Hill). 

Animal Control Fees

Description Fees
Adoption fee $50
Daily impound fee $24
Dog kennel $400
Dog license (per dog) $25
After March 15 (per dog) $40
Pickup fee $65

*Prices are given for information purposes. Please refer to the "User Fees" document for current rates.

 Dog registration form

Bylaw 98-42 Control animal

Car Shelters ("Tempo")

Temporary Car Shelter

Tempo garages may be erected from October 15th to April 15th without obtaining a permit and must comply with the following conditions:

  • Vehicle shelter are accessory structures to a dwelling house;
  • Vehicle shelter shall not exceed a maximum height of 4 m;
  • Only one vehicle shelter per dwelling unit;
  • Shall not encroach onto the public highway right-of-way;
  • Shall not obstruct a sidewalk;
  • Shall be located at a minimum distance of 1.5 m from the front line and 0.5 m from any interior side lot line;
  • Shall not obstruct snow ploughing of sidewalks and roads;
  • Shall not impede visibility at the approach of an intersection.

Anyone who does not remove the entire structure of the temporary shelter before April 15th will be issued an offence notice.

Permanent Car Shelter

"Tempo" car shelter may be erected on a permanent basis, in the back yard only, by obtaining a building permit and in accordance with the conditions stated in By-law #2000-75:

  • Shall be located in the back yard only;
  • No more than two vehicle shelters shall be permitted on the same lot;
  • Shall require the issuance of a building permit;
  • Shall be located at a minimum distance of 1.2 m from any rear and interior side lot line and at a minimum distance of 3.5 m from an exterior side lot line.

By-law #2008-30 concerning vehicle shelter

For more information, contact the municipal by-law officer at 613 675-4727 or


This By-law has been adopted by theMunicipal Council to allow any person owning or occupying any building or part of a building that has been inadvertently wholly or partially erected upon a highway, to maintain and use such building, through the issuance of an aerial, sub-surface or surface encroachment permit.

This By-law also regulates the temporary use of any highway during building construction for the storage of materials. Furthermore, an encroachment permit may be issued for ornamental structures or building accessories (windows, cornices, eaves, awnings, sills, brackets...).

No person shall construct or erect any encroachment without first obtaining a permit. 

 User Fees

Description Fees
Temporary encroachment $70
Processing application/permanent See planning fees

*Prices are given for information purposes. Please refer to the "User Fees" document for current rates.


Bylaw 2000-36 Encroachment


Open air burning is a serious matter! 

Prior to burning any material on any property, an application must be filed by the landowner before a fire permit is issued. The fee for this permit is $10.00. Certain criteria must be met before obtaining permission to burn. The Township application contains pertinent information that will assist the applicant in burning the material safely. E-mailed or faxed applications are not accepted. 


No burning permit required for campfires or for an open air fire when such burning consists of a small confined fire, supervised at all times and used to cook food on a grill or a barbecue. 

Exterior type fireplaces for private use, such as mentioned above, also do not require a fire permit.


Please note that, even with the benefit of a permit, any person setting a fire is held responsible for his/her own actions and negligence (injury to person, damage to property) and may be charged by the Fire Department for their services should they be called to intervene.

IMPORTANT... It is “law” under the Municipal Fire By-law

  • Material to be burned limited to wood or wood by-products
  • Open air burning to allow no more than 1 cubic meter of material to be burned at any one time
  • Fire extinguishing equipment to be on site at all times (brooms, water hoses, pails, shovels, etc.)
  • Open air burning during daylight hours only
  • Open air burning to be supervised at all times and never to be left unattended until completely extinguished
  • Permit holder to notify the Fire Department before the fire is lit and when it is put out
  • Odors or smoke not to cause discomfort to persons or affect any properties, otherwise extinguish fire immediately
  • Open fires not allowed if wind conditions cause any decrease in visibility on any road or highway
  • Open fires not to be set closer than 30 meters or 100 feet from any building or uncleared land
  • Open fires set off directly to grass, hay, leaves or crops are strictly prohibited!

For emergency services, call: Hawkesbury Fire Department: 632-4111


Bylaw 2010-19 Fire control

Garage sales

This By-law is to control garage sales and to prevent persons from abusing. 

In the Township of Champlain, you may hold a garage sale for one (1) day to three (3) consecutive days at the most, per sale. 

A garage sale license is always required, even for your first garage sale of the year. Contact the by-law officer at to get a yard sale permit.

Any subsequent garage sale during a calendar year will be charged the prescribed fee, such license being valid for one sale only.

Do you know that it is an offence to:

  • Sell items other than personal property
  • Fail to obtain a garage sale license
  • Hold a garage sale for more than 3 consecutive days
  • Hold a garage sale at an address other than indicated
  • Fail to display garage sale license
  • Hold a garage sale on sidewalk, street or other public place
  • Hold a garage sale when prohibited


Description Fees
1st sale within a calendar year $5
Subsequent sale within a calendar year $30

*Prices are given for information purposes. Please refer to the "User Fees" document for current rates.


Garage sales are lots of work, but can be lots of fun too! 
Please follow the rules to play it right!


Parking Restrictions

The objective of this By-law is to ensure that all highways, roads and sidewalks are kept clear for the benefit of both vehicles' and pedestrians' traffic. 

Parking restrictions


Winter parking restrictions: 
for wards 1 and 2, Vankleek Hill and L'Orignal

Overnight parking on a street or highway is not permitted between the hours of 12:00 a.m. (midnight) and 7:00 a.m., from October 31st to March 31st.

Winter parking restrictions:
for wards 3 and 4, Longueuil and West Hawkesbury

Parking on municipal roads is not permitted between October 31st to March 31st.

Please note that parking restrictions are strictly imposed during snow removal operations.

Commonly seen infractions include Parking: 

  • On a sidewalk
  • Within 5 meters of an intersection
  • Within 5 meters of a pedestrian crosswalk
  • On a crosswalk
  • Within 3 meters of a fire hydrant
  • In a no parking zone
  • In excess of one hour or two hours on street (where signs are posted)
  • Between 12:00 am and 7:00 am on street from the 31st of October of the current year and the 31st of March of the succeeding year
  • In a handicapped parking zone
  • Where prohibited
  • Wrong direction on street.

For any additional information, contact Champlain Township By-law Enforcement Department, at 613-675-4727.  

Property Standards

The Property Standards By-law sets standards for maintenance and occupancy for all properties within the Township of Champlain. 

This By-law covers the following:

  • Sewage and drainage
  • Walkways and driveways
  • Fences
  • Any structures, particularly dwelling units, both interior and exterior
  • Garbage disposal
  • Yards and surface conditions, including vacant lands and vacant buildings.
  • Properties must be properly maintained to ensure the conditions are safe, clean and orderly. 

All property owners are required to repair and maintain their property according to standards.

Repair and maintenance may be carried out by a tenant provided there is an agreement between owner and occupant.


Following an official written complaint, the By-law Enforcement Officer investigates and determines if a violation exists. If a violation is found, the Officer may issue informal notices and/or orders to remedy which involve specific information on the violation. The owner is given a reasonable time to have the work completed or condition repaired or rendered secure.

If you are a tenant and have concerns that repairs and maintenance ought to be carried out in your living or working area, it would be advisable to first notify the landlord of the defect, both verbally and in writing. This gives the landlord the opportunity to resolve the issue. If the concerns are not adequately addressed, then you may register the official complaint with us.


Road Cuts

This By-law regulates the installation of services on or under roads and sidewalks in our Township.

Any person who needs to break, excavate, bore under, tunnel or dig up part of a road is required to obtain a Road Cut Permit from the By-law Enforcement Department beforehand. The applicant is responsible to locate all other underground public services and to maintain a secure construction at all times. Reinstallation and backfill following such works are closely supervised by the Public Works employees. 

A security deposit is required for such works and is released after one calendar year, once the Public Works Department has inspected and approved in final acceptance. Depending on the surface affected, different guidelines apply and the sum of the security deposit required will vary with each case. Consequently, contact our Department, at (613) 675-4727. 

It is important to note that although inspections are carried out by the Public Works Department, it is the By-law Enforcement Department that issues the Road Cut Permit.

Roads User fees

Bylaw 2014-25 Road Cuts

Swimming Pools & Fences

You plan to install a spa or a swimming pool in your back yard this summer? 

Please note that in the Township of Champlain we are most concerned about safety, particularly that of our children and of all our residents and visitors in our jurisdiction. Consequently, owners of privately-owned hot tubs and swimming pools, whether inground, above ground or inflatable (with 18 inches of water and more), have to obtain a permit from our Department. An inspection from one of our officers follows the installation to ensure compliance with the By-law and other regulations. 

Safety points to keep in mind:

  • First, it is very important that the location is approved by the Chief Building Official to ensure that they are properly situated in relation to septic tanks, septic fields and property lines.
  • All in ground swimming pool enclosures must be at least 1.5 meters (5 feet) in height.
  • All above ground swimming pools whose walls are 1.2 meters (4 feet) or more are considered to be enclosed. Access to the pool (ladders, stairs or decks) must be restricted and provided with locking devices.
  • Lockable covers over inflatable pools and hot tubs are considered an acceptable and approved means to prevent access.
  • Accessory equipment such as pool filters, water heaters and pumps must be located no less than 36 inches from the pool wall to prevent climbing access.
  • If any deck is constructed as part of the installation of the pool, construction details and location must also be approved by the Building Department.

A safe pool, a perfect swim.

Pool, Spa and Enclosure Permit

Description Fees
Above ground pool 18"-3' $30
Inflatable pool $30
Above ground pool higher than 3' $90
Installation of a spa $90
Above ground pool and spa deck (100 sq. ft. or less) $150
Ground level swimming pool $260


*Prices are given for information purposes. Please refer to the "User Fees" document for current rates.

Bylaw 98-52 Swimming Pools

Fence Permit

Description Fees
Residential zone $65
Non-residential zone $165

*Prices are given for information purposes. Please refer to the "User Fees" document for current rates.


Bylaw 2000-35 - Fence Bylaw

Contact Us